Thursday, April 26, 2012

Woohooo...Got my google drive with 5 Gig free storage

I just now saw a mail from google-team  regarding availability of google drive for my google account. With over 5 GB of space it should solve all my online data storage problems. I personally collect lot of ebooks, store some important videos and documents which were download from the web and also store scanned copies of interesting material. So, now this one place where i can have access to all my stuff anywhere( i have an andriod phone Sony Ericsson Xperia X10). I say its cool.

I was just checking the features of google drive. Here are some interesting feature.


1) It offers visually pleasing grid view (basically thumbnail preview) and plain old list view. I liked the grid view

2) Other basic functionality like sort your stuff by last edited, last modified, last opened etc.

3)One very useful information for google drive, ie. How much space you have used so far can be found in Settings -> Storage.

4) You have a predefined list of keyboard shortcuts to ease your interaction with your google drive and you can  define your custom keyboard shortcuts too.

5) One more cool feature of the google drive is that you can add interesting google apps and paint your drives grid view with cool games and apps.





6) Google drive categorizes your stuff in to different buckets and provides you option to directly access the desired document type. You have predefined  document categories like Folders, pdfs, presentations, Drawings,  images, tables, spreadsheets, forms etc and many more.


These are just some of the features i explored in the 10 minutes i got access to google drive. Overall i liked it. This surely will help me as a single place where i can store all my data (videos, songs, documents, presentations, ebooks ) and most interesting of all is access them via my andriod device. Good work google.

Guys, please do write in about any other interesting feature of google drive.


-(rinivas
  )


1 comment:

  1. All good but GDrive does not support symbolic links yet but dropbox does, which is a major advantage dropbox has over GDrive !!

    There is a new player in this area called Cubby. It also provides 5 gigs of free storage space. Its still in beta stages and seems to have a great potential. It does not create an exclusive folder for itself like GDrive and dropbox where you have to put your files to sync with the cloud.

    just my 5 cents !!

    Srinath.

    ReplyDelete